In this section, you can read a review of work of the governing body in the previous academic year and look at the record of attendance of governors at meetings across the previous year...
A summary of the work of the governing body during 2020-2021
- The work of the governing body was again wide ranging and in depth. A significant amount our planned improvement was curtailed by the global pandemic when the school was called upon to work in a very different way. During this period, we could only make essential visits to the school and the amount of meetings (held online) was reduced. The governors supported the headteacher and staff in keeping the school a safe place to be for staff and children and maintained oversight of the provision that was made available to children during this time.
- We helped compile and then monitored the School Development Plan from September 2020 in light of the disrupted education of the previous two terms which required flexibility given the further lockdown from January 2021
- The governing body continued a range of work through meetings of the full governing body and its committees
- We reviewed, updated and approved a range of policies all relating to the effective running of the school and ensuring the best possible outcomes to children’s education; particularly in light of the circumstances. Governors overviewed the school’s work to implement good quality remote education across the year groups
- In such exceptional times, we supported the school in a number of practical ways and paid particular attention to the well-being of the staff.
- Working together with the school’s leadership team we set and monitored the budget. Governors have been active in considering in detail the implications of the school’s ever tighter budgetary situation.
- We further developed links between the school and local churches (especially Oakwood church) through ensuring the school is represented in church newsletters and reporting to Oakwood church PCC. We monitored health and safety with particular attention paid to the ongoing Risk assessment for the management of Covid 19 in the school through discussions and visits.
- We continued to evaluate and improve our effectiveness as a governing body. We supported new governors through individual induction meetings and all governors with an individual annual review meeting.
- We ensured that the information about governors on the website is relevant and up to date.