In this section, you can read a review of work of the governing body in the previous academic year and look at the record of attendance of governors at meetings across the previous year...
A summary of the work of the governing body during 2019 - 2020
- The work of the governing body was again wide ranging and in depth. A significant amount our planned improvement was curtailed by the global pandemic when the school was called upon to work in a very different way. During this period, we could only make essential visits to the school and the amount of meetings (held online) was reduced. The governors supported the headteacher and staff in keeping the school a safe place to be for staff and children and maintained oversight of the provision that was made available to children during this time.
- Before the pandemic, we helped compile and then monitored the School Development Plan through visits to school, discussions with staff and children and analysis of data. These visits focused on a variety of issues and curriculum areas.
- We attended and helped at various school events in order to support and better understand the schools’ work as a community and in the community – e.g. Pancake Pandemonium, Christmas fair, Oakwood Lights Switch On.
- We reviewed, updated and approved a range of policies all relating to the effective running of the school and ensuring the best possible outcomes to children’s education.
- Working together with the school’s leadership team we set and monitored the budget. This included the finance governor attending the budget setting meeting with the HT and LA finance officer. Governors have been active in considering in detail the implications of the school’s ever tighter budgetary situation.
- We monitored the school’s effectiveness as a C of E school through visits to school and by joining in with school acts of worship and attending Christmas performances. In particular governors monitored assemblies planned and led by children.
- We further developed links between the school and local churches (especially Oakwood church) through encouraging external visits to the school from local churches, ensuring the school is represented in church newsletters, reporting to Oakwood church PCC and participation in church/school events ourselves. We monitored health and safety in the school through discussions and visits.
- We continued to evaluate and improve our effectiveness as a governing body. We supported new governors through individual induction meetings and all governors with an individual annual review meeting.
- We ensured that the information about governors on the website is relevant and up to date.